Many key events have helped shape the world of Sofubi and secure it's popularity – from urban myths and legends to the development of Slush Casting – as well as the creation of large toy companies, collectives and individual artists alike.
An event is featured on this page for being classed as fundamental in the growth and development of Sofubi.
- PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) was synthesized by German chemist Eugen Baumann.
- Waldo Semon and the B.F. Goodrich Company develops a method to plasticize PVC by blending it with various additives. Resulting in a more flexible and more easily processed material that soon achieved widespread commercial use.
- The Godzilla (ゴジラ, Gojira) franchise is created by Toho, centered on the fictional kaiju character Godzilla.
- Soft vinyl (PVC) toys were made popular by the Japanese plastic model manufacturer Marusan in 1966 with the release of the "Ultra-kaiju" toy range.
- Bullmark (ブルマァク) is founded after the bankruptcy of Marusan the year prior.
Marmit (マーミット) one of the bigger independent toy manufacturers in Japan is founded, at the same time releasing their flagship "Vinyl Paradise" line.
Tatsuhiko “Ryu” Akashi launches Medicom Toy
- Medicom Toy launches the Vinyl Artist Gacha Box series.
- The Creature Bazaar event is founded.